Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mama said there'd be days like this...


Fred decided to wake up every hour last night after having a really hard time going to sleep. Then we wrestled with him trying to take a nap this morning - although he did sleep long enough for me to unload my car from a recent move (more to come on that). I think because I am tired the house is seeming super small, cramped, cluttered, and messy. Everywhere I turn I feel like there is a pile to be put away but I'm not sure where! Then Fred wakes up 30 short minutes later, I go and wrestle him for another hour trying to coax him to go back to sleep to take a longer nap - finally I realize this is a lost battle as it is almost time for him to eat again. After his lunch I put him down in his crib which he stayed awake for over an hour with off and on screaming bouts. By this time lack of sleep, trying to function (you know get dressed and eat), and attempting to get the mommy chores done, manifested into a wicked headache. So once he went down I decided I needed five minutes to relax, I decided to go pick some strawberries in our garden, a chance to get out, fresh air, be happy with the garden, get good organic fruit! I started to lift up the netting we placed over the patch to keep out the birds when all of the sudden I saw two furry things rising with the netting way too close to my hands... two chipmunks somehow got entwined in the netting and choked themselves. Chip and Dale's corpses freaked me out so bad it left me silently screaming as not to draw every neighbor to the backyard. By the time I got back in the house and washed my hands a thousand time just incase I brushed against one of them - Fred was crying, waking up from his nap and there was no getting him to go back down. We played, he ate again, I got another load of laundry done and I decided we needed to get out go for a walk. Instead of using the stroller I figured I minimize the hassle since we were just going around the block and used the front snuggli carrier. We said hello to a few neighbors and as we were nearing home a bird pooped on us. Even nature was against me today I swear. I was so grossed out and felt like crying at this point so I just had to laugh because really that's the only option that was left. But today has a happy ending with a little boy giggling all through out dinner, a nice bath, a good feed, a bedtime story, and no fussing being put to bed - which allowed mama to finish reading a magazine and recycle it as not to keep clutter around, have an ice cream sandwich, and curl up with hubby to watch an episode of Psyche. And now I'm off to bed, hopefully for a full night's sleep.

4 comments:

KEO said...

Philie -- Sweet Jesus, what a day! You're an amazing mama!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
Fred's looking so cute!!!
Please send me your address, have something I'd like to send to him.
:-) Nikki
nikkifourie@gmail.com

Roxanne said...

girl, you knwo I feel you, but somehow I was totally feeling for you up until the bird pooping- that you just have to laugh at- hilarious- only to you! STay strong- you can o this even on days like this :) Love you- thanks for coming out!

Kelly B. said...

Yikes! That's so gross about the chipmunks! So much for the strawberries this season... And I hear bird poo is good luck... but really, I think that's just one of those things that people say to make you feel better about getting sh*t on all day...