Monday, July 21, 2008

The Wedding - Finally!

I know, I know it’s been over two weeks since the wedding. Part was just getting laundry and things back on track & then we had an unexpected plumbing emergency, which sadly has dipped into Fred’s college fund – only public universities for him. It was a wonderful wedding.

The day started with hair, nails, and make-up. Mary looked so cute in her blue jeans, white button down, and veil. She walked back to her parents condo and I so desperately wanted a picture of her walking down LaGrange road - I thought it would be so neat, but I couldn't capture the moment as I was having hair pins inserted into my scalp and being shellacked with industrial hairspray which did not wash out until the following Thursday!

Back at the Philips' homestead, everyone was getting ready. Jeff was so calm and just ready to go. The was some assistance with way too many people to help get on a pair of Obama cuff links and Molly's favorite picture showing Stan strangling...uh I mean helping my dad with his bow tie and my mom looking like Debbie Downer in the background.



But don't we clean up nice?




Off to the church!



No pre wedding jitters just ready to get married. Oh I should note here that some of these pictures are mine, but most were taken by the fabulous Nick, a bridal attendant for Mary, and my new bff. He had awesome photos that I had to steal. Isn't he a doll?

Mary's niece and nephew did so well walking down the aisle - super cute. The ceremony was beautiful.

It really was just about perfect and almost went without a glitch, until Mary was ready to yell at Molly and I for being talkative. It wasn't so much that we were talking as arguing. And it wasn't so much as we were arguing as I was trying to rationalize with a semiconscious individual. It was rather warm up on the altar. Molly has a tendency for ummmm, shall we say dropping like a sack of flour during such moments has choir concerts, Thanksgiving Day parades, and when people play with her hair. So I asked her during the first few moments of the ceremony if she was feeling all right, I could feel her breathing on my back. She responded all annoyed in that tone of "yes mother!" that she was fine. Ok, so I went back to paying attention to the ceremony. Not more than ten minutes later I hear "Jess... Jess...Jess" and can feel her breathing all weird on my back - someone locked their knees. So I quickly looped my arm around her waist and propped her up. I was trying to get her to sit down but she was arguing that everyone would be looking and she was fine. Now while Molly is a stick it was pretty obvious that I was supporting all her weight while standing up and we were both swaying back and forth, not the most subtle of moves yet in her mind sitting would be this big distraction. Finally we were all to sit. I told her to stay sitting, but she assured me she was ok now, as people began to bring her little cups of water from the congregation! The wedding party was to go up to the kneeler to take communion - I told her to stay there and she said she could do it. So we all stood up and as she got into kneeling position her head starts bobbing back and forth like she is going to take a head dive over the kneeler rail. I can just picture her butt flying up into the air. So I pick her up around her waist again and drag her over to the nearest pew. What a fun little side show we are. The Priest is coming down the line offering the host and looks at the two of us sitting to the side with a quizzical look as if to say "This is not how we practiced it girls. If you don't want communion just put your arms across your chest." Now the ushers start bringing us water, and we are able to get back into our chairs with the rest of the bridal party. She starts to argue again that she is fine, and through gritted teeth I tell her "If you don't drink every last drop of water you are not having one drop of alcohol at the reception". Mary's older sisters Julie and Krissy are silently laughing behind us, as well as the other bridal attendants. Guess who started chugging all the water? Stan is having a field day laughing at her on the other side of the altar while some of the other groomsmen show concern. Molly was able to get back down the aisle with out dropping so all was well. Jeff and Mary left in grand style.









On to the party!




They had their reception at the Danada House. It is this beautiful old estate that that is on forest preserves property and has an equestrian stable and grounds.

















Cocktails and appetizers were served out on the grounds and in the house and then dinner was in an atrium that attaches to the house. It was a really lovely setting. Mary and Jeff had such a neat idea for tables, each table had a card with a catch phrases of things that were important to them and then on the back of the was a he said/she said description on the story – it was such a nice personal touch and people were trading the cards to read more stories.



The toasts were marvelous, the décor was simple and elegant, and it seemed everyone was just waiting to get out on the dance floor. Lynn had practiced some Napoleon Dynamite moves, and Harry did his legendary twist.



































We had so much fun – I think next to my own wedding I had the most fun at this one. And that’s it now – all over after a year and half of waiting no more showers or parties and I think Jeff and Mary are fine with that. They had an awesome time on their honeymoon, the house they stayed in looked amazing. We got to catch up with them this past weekend at my folk’s house celebrating my dad’s birthday and Jeff’s 27th b-day. We just love getting together as this big family!

2 comments:

ARod said...

Yea! Everyone looks so smashing, I'm glad you had a great time. I love the pic of Stan "helping" Harry with the tie, awesome!

jill said...

hey jess! this looks sooo fun! the molly story is hilarious, and i can say that b/c i am the other queen of passing out =)

thanks for reading my blog and making comments too. i'm happy you liked the video!