Saturday, November 8, 2008

Its Not Easy Being Green


Since having Fred, environmental issues, freak me out. Seriously, I had a meltdown during the summer when I heard that the polar ice caps had shrunken to an all time low, that they had almost completely melted, ad while I would like to blame the tears on hormones, I worry about what kind of environment my kids (& their children & so on) have been brought into. So Fred and I got on the G-diaper system. They degrade within 150 days in a landfill, are made from sustainable & recycled products. However many know of our saga that they clogged our sewer (they are designed to be flushable) yet the company was amazing and are giving us a years worth of free diapers (the plumber's bill was rather significant). I've been switching over all our household cleaners to Seventh Generation products, trying to buy more organic products (God bless Trader Joe's - I seriously think I should open a franchise of one). I got Stan this book for His birthday called Living Like Ed, by Ed Begely Jr. It is really interesting, and has increased our desire to get off the grid. (Create our own energy in solar panels & wind). I think the best part of the book is realizing that he is neighbor's with Bill Nye the Science guy - Hollywood cracks me up. Stan is beginning to look at hybrids for his next car & I'm thinking I could maybe get away with an electric for my next car (several several years off). All of this knowledge has sort of spurred on our pipe dream to build our "forever house". Did you know that you can insulate with recycled denim & newspaper composit? How cool is that! I'm trying to cut down on our waste but have been slow to get a compost pile going. We've also been looking into rain barrels. I guess the reason I'm spewing all this goofy granola, hippie, eco-nutter info is that I'm so annoyed with the energy lobby's tv ads! I hope as a society we can look back on them like cigarette ads. These pictures are from awhile ago (I'm re-looking at what I can post since I still can't load pictures) Aunt Kelly gave us this awesome t-shirt for our grassroots movement - by which I mean that Fred sat in the grass and pulled it out by the roots.

No comments: